History of the Shrimp Box
In 1940, the land where the current Shrimp Box now sits was purchased to become a commercial fishing dock. The dock and the adjoining retail fish market, selling and transporting fish along the Atlantic Coast was established.
The restaurant began as small take-out seafood stand. After several years, the stand was so successful it moved to the retail fish store (the current lobby and part of the kitchen) and expanded it's seating to 36 from the four original counter stools.
The restaurant’s growth has been a success thanks to a devout local following cultivated under the current ownership of the Gyftakis family who remodeled the property, built a harbor-side outdoor patio and revamped the menu now firmly placing the restaurant as a Jersey Shore Institution.
The restaurant underwent a final renovation during 2012-2013 after the devastation caused by Hurricane Sandy. The local community, customers and staff arrived within days wearing waders and bearing shovels to begin the recovery effort. The success has been aided by fresh locally sourced seafood strong local support. No trip to the shore is complete without lunch or dinner at The Shrimp Box & Outside The Box Patio Bar.